Heart for Friendship

| Monday, June 7, 2010 | |

This week at The Kirk, Wayne's message was "Heart for Friendship." As I listened I evaluated whether or not I was being the best lifelong friend I can be to my close friends and also thinking about how thankful I am for my few very close friends who meet all these proofs of friendship. I also asked myself "How is my friendship with Jesus?" Here are the 4 proof's of friendship...

1) What they do for you...
Meaning you don't ever have to beg for a favor but rather they are always there to assist when you are in need. John 15:13 says "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." We should all be willing to do this. Not wine or come up with excuses as to why we can't help someone else out.

2) Defense before others...
A good friend is going to stick by you no matter what. Even when stakes are high and they know if they do stick up for you, there may be serious consequences (like losing respect from many others or even your job). It doesn't matter. A true friend is more important than the consequences you may be given

3) Ability to confide in someone else...
With a true friend, you know that when you tell them something, they are not going to go off and tell anyone else. Gossiping can get so out of hand sometimes but a true friend is going to hold everything in confidence. Oh how I wish this could be true for everyone!

4) Freedom to be Themselves...
Your true friend knows you are the way you are just BECAUSE. They don't expect anything differently out of you. They also make it a point to encourage you often. Hopefully you have a friend that may even do this on a daily basis. If not, make it your goal to do this for someone else (say your spouse if you are married).


Good friends are people who actually enjoy spending time with you. It's not a chore or a task. They are there to listen and sometimes it's nice for them to just be in your prescence in the complete silence. You don't even have to say anything if that's what the person needs. I love when Wayne said you "don't have to try and throw in a Bible verse to make things better." Amen! Because we all know when we are struggling or hurting, just simply reciting a Bible verse to us does not make all the difference in the world. It's being there for that person and showing you love and care.

0 comments:

Post a Comment